Saturday, March 10, 2007

Shopping in Madison

We ran to Madison this morning for a little shopping and lunch at the Maharajah. Great lunch and for the most part great shopping! I stopped at Gayfeather Fabrics on Williamson Street right next to the Hans Sewing Center. They are a really unusual fabric store with really lovely fabrics, trims and buttons. They have gorgeous silks and wools on tubes and hand dyed fabrics. Great trims! Michele told me that she has some Japanese fabrics that I can look at for the project I am working on for the Loose Ends Yarn Challenge. I am making a Zakka bag. I got the idea from a Japanese book I saw somewhere:

















This is what I have knitted:



It is all sort of scrumbled, multi-directional knitting with these great yarn samples. I am really excited about putting it together. Of course, success is all in the finishing! Hope it works...






Also I picked up the newest Interweave Knits.


My gosh
What Happened?!?
This issue really stank in my opinion! The patterns are separated from the pictures the way Vogue Knitting does. I like my patterns right with the pictures. And the PATTERNS! All for tiny little "hip" knitters-a knitted thong and bra, camisole, tiny little sweaters for a 16 year old. One Fair Isle sweater that looked nice and a knitted pillow top in Fair Isle. A pair of socks designed by Eunny Jang who's blog I have read. A pair of socks by Grumperina who's blog I have read and enjoyed. A knitted skirt, for heaven's sake! Did no one tell them that knitting bags out in the seat after one wearing even if you DON'T have a big butt. I paid $6.99 on the newsstand for this issue and I sure wish I hadn't!! I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come with KNITS. Usually my favorite so I hope this gets fixed!
Oh well, enough criticism! We will talk later.
Lynda
I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite.
G. K. Chesterton

No comments: