Friday, July 06, 2007

Hot Weather

It is supposed to be really warm this weekend and although I simply hate having windows shut in the summer, the AC will be on and I got some movies at the library yesterday so I think this will be a time to sew and spin and knit indoors. At least until evening when it cools down!





















I got a couple of movies that I have never seen. All foreign films except The Devil Wears Prada. I also got Les Parapluies de Cherbourg-translated as the Umbrellas of Cherbourg. I love that word-parapluies! Then I also got a couple of Indian films. I guess this is my summer getaway...

The Umbrellas has Catherine Deneuve in it at age twenty and Roger Ebert says she still is as amazingly beautiful today as she was at twenty!










I also got a novel by Margaret Drabble, The Sea Lady.


This is an author that has made me think and made me angry and I just love her! One of her books, The Eye of the Needle is a book I read easily 15 years ago and I can still tell you why it made me angry...There is this young woman, a single mother, who inherits or wins a lot of money. She feels that in order to save her soul she must give the money away and she and her children live in the slums of London and she does good works. The title refers to the line in the Bible that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to get into heaven. I felt that she shirked her responsibility to use that money to help people and to manage that herself. I felt that she was a weak person for being afraid to do that herself and just giving the money away! And what about her own children? Well, obviously a book like this brings up a lot of questions-really BIG questions. What is our obligation to our fellows? We are told that when we clothe the naked or feed the hungry we are doing this to Jesus. I think we are meant to be making these efforts ourselves, every day. Not giving that mission to someone else so that we don't dirty our hands with filthy lucre...


I have greatly enjoyed all her books and look forward to the newest one. Drabble's older sister is A.S. Byatt, the author of Possession. Imagine what their family get togethers are like!
Talk to you later,
Lynda
The remarkable thing about Shakespeare is that he really is very good,
in spite of all the people who say he is very good.
Robert Graves (1895 - 1985)






No comments: