Sunday, August 27, 2006

Fair Isle and Scandinavian Knitting

I have been working a lot on color knitting. Had started some mittens but after knitting about 3 inches I realized the yarn was just too soft for what I was knitting! This color stuff needs something with a lot more body to it that Elann's Baby Silk! So then I started knitting the Maple Leaf Sock pattern being done as a knitalong. Well the pattern calls for size 2 needle and 72 stitches. I don't know who that would fit but It sure was huge on me. So I ripped that out and will cast on again with I don't 64 stitches maybe. Cool looking stitch pattern though:


http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TownsendSocksKnitALong/

Then I cast on a Wee Fair Isle baby sweater and it seems to going along well. I am just doing the Corrugated Ribbing but that is fun. Also I got that mitten kit from Sweden for the Bohus mittens. The yarn is beautiful. The pattern is what you might call terse. Not much information there and what there is sounds tricky. I will write more about it as I try to figure it out.

Don't have any pictures of my stuff right now as the camera is still full of Joe and Patrick's trip out west. I need to get those pictures off and sent out for processing. Then on to pictures of my works in progress. They had a great time and brought home 40 lbs. of chiles! We will be eating CHILES RELLENOS for a while...


Chiles Rellenos
4 large green New Mexican chiles, roasted and peeled, stems left on
Cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack, cut in sticks
3 eggs, separated
1 Tb water
3 Tbs flour
1/4 tsp salt
flour
Make a slit in the side of each chile and stuff the chiles with the cheese sticks. Dredge the chiles with the flour. Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Beat the yolks with the water, 3 Tbs flour, and salt until thick and creamy. Fold the yolks into the whites.
Dip the chiles in the mixture and fry in 2 to 3 inches of oil until they are a golden brown.
No collection of New Mexican recipes could be complete without including one for stuffed green chiles. In late summer when the fresh crop of chile comes in, nothing tastes better. We stuff them with cheese, meat mixtures, or combinations of meats, dried fruits and nuts. Big Jims are the preferred chile for this recipe.

I gave Stewie the knitted monkey to the baby he was knit for this morning. Stewie and the yellow baby sweater. His mom really seemed to like both of them. Hope Stewie will have a happy life!

Did I mention that my chicken Steve has moved back home? She is now sleeping at home and staying around all day! Don't know where she was for awhile, a peripatetic chicken, but she has come home to roost again and I am very happy about it all. Hope she had a nice trip too.

Well back to the knitting I think, we can talk more later.

Lynda

The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil.

But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.

No comments: