Sunday, January 07, 2007

My Chicken Steve

Don't know if I ever mentioned my chickens here on the blog but for those who don't know, I have three chickens; one bantam Cochin, one Wyandott, and an Araucanian. Their names are Steve, the Araucanian, and Lacey the Wyandott and Pete the white Cochin. All hens, by the way.

Well this summer for a couple of weeks, Steve was not coming in to the coop evenings. I figures that Steve was a goner. I thought she might have found greener lawns or adventures in other yards. My neighbors know I have a couple of chickens and there are no city ordinances against it-just a noise ordinance so I don't keep roosters. A couple of weeks later Steve just showed up again in the yard and went back into the coop evenings. I was surprised to say the least! Where had Steve been? What adventures had she had while traveling? I was just hoping that she wouldn't run into that horrid Cooper's hawk that comes around sometimes. (I actually feel sorry for the Cooper's as it doesn't seem to be a very good hunter and is always fairly desperate when it shows up in the yard!)

Yesterday I decided to make up a new cat box for my kitties. What I do is tape a medium size cardboard box shut and then cut holes in the sides-small enough for a cat to crawl through but no bigger-and a small hole in the top to give some light to the inside or to play tag through. Oh and I also put catnip in it. So yesterday I was in the back yard looking for fresh catnip because it has been so warm and catnip is so hardy, I thought I'd find some pretty good stuff in the yard.

I found the catnip alright but you'd never guess what else I found...in the asparagus bed, now that it has died back, I found a nest with about TEN Araucanian eggs in it!! Steve had a nest right in the back yard and I never even found her. I had been working in the garden not five feet from her and never heard a thing! She must have "gone broody" and been sitting there the whole time, can you believe it?!? I asked my husband Joe to go out there and VERY carefully gather up those eggs and put them in the garbage without breaking them. You know what rotten eggs smell like!! What an amazing end to a mystery, no?

Koko the Siamese is doing better. She is much less aggressive and even slept upstairs with us last night, along with Iris and the two dogs (yes my husband sleeps there, too, though I don't know how we all fit). She isn't being so sensitive to any touch and is not growling or hissing at anyone.

I am, however having a hard time getting antibiotics into her. She really isn't eating a lot anyway. We will keep an eye on her recovery, but for the most part she is doing well.

Didn't get my mother's socks finished after all but I promised myself to finish TODAY! I started a sweater for Joe, just have to finish the thumb on some lovely fingerless mitts for me, have a little bit to finish on that heart sachet pattern by Vicki Sever from the Interweave Knits website:




I'm knitting my first heart in a denim colored hand dyed fingering weight-similar to Koigu but just one color. This is a cute pattern. You might like to take a look. I will be teaching this class as an intro to mitered knitting at Craft Center here in town and also at Loose Ends in Mayville.







I am reading Forsyte Sage by John Galsworthy. This is available online through the Online Literature website:


This is a classic and well worth the read, if you are looking for something new to start reading!
And here is a new author, I just heard about. Haven't read it yet but is sounded Good!

From Publishers Weekly
In her fifth Prof. Karen Pelletier mystery, Dobson (Quieter Than Sleep) offers an academic novel both gutsy and romantic. Sound contradictory? It is, thanks to bestselling feminist author Sunnye Hardcastle, herself a dozen or so contradictions, who comes to Enfield College in Massachusetts with her rottweiler, Trouble, to speak on the hard-boiled women's detective novel at an English department conference. But trouble dogs Sunnye. Lavishly expensive texts and even a manuscript of Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon disappear, despite a tight alarm system at the college library. Karen ends up hiding Sunnye from the local police, even though this brings down the wrath of Lt. Charlie Piotrowski, Karen's he-man lover, who's looking into the thefts. Murder muddles their affair, as well as the criminal investigation, which leads to two houses holding fabulous libraries, including many first editions, signed copies and manuscripts with marginal notes. Dobson's obvious knowledge of, and respect for, mystery and detective fiction is immense. She takes the reader on a glorious tour, describing everything from comic books to anthologies. Even the most moral mystery fans will understand why a person would want to purloin even one or two of these treasures.Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information, Inc.
From Booklist
There's no one better than Dobson at playing the politics of academe--not for laughs as much as amused chuckles. Famed crime novelist Sunnye Hardcastle (think Patricia Cornwell) is part of Enfield's Women's Studies conference on crime fiction. Professor Karen Pelletier will serve as Hardcastle's keeper while balancing concern about tenure and her own classes. Meanwhile, some precious books and a Dashiell Hammet manuscript have disappeared from the college library. More rare books disappear, a researcher dies, and Hardcastle, the researcher, and the PI brought in to investigate turn out to have odd connections with each other. Dobson riffs brilliantly and hilariously on academic conferences and the hard-boiled female detective. She allows Karen the complexity of an adult relationship with a police lieutenant while seamlessly inserting graceful asides on food, clothing, music, and teaching styles. She gets the library stuff almost exactly right, too. The best so far in a thoroughly entertaining series. GraceAnne DeCandidoCopyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved
The Maltese Falcon is one of my favorite movies-books of all time!
That is all from here,
Talk to you soon,
Lynda
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

No comments: