Thursday, March 15, 2007

Can She Bake a Cherry Pie?

Our church youth group is putting on a soup and sandwich supper tonight and Joe is making sub sandwiches and I am making a cherry pie. Joe brought home one of those big tins of frozen Door County cherries so I will make the pie from scratch. I always make a fancy lattice top for this supper cuz it looks so good! Joe does up the crust for me the night before and then I roll it out and fill and bake. This recipe couldn't be any easier! Come on over to supper tonight-
4:30-7:30, 403 West Brown Street, Waupun, Wi! Free Will offering.

TRADITIONAL CHERRY PIE


A Midwest favorite that always gets rave reviews.
4 cups frozen unsweetened tart cherries

1 cup granulated sugar

3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca

1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Pastry for 2-crust, 9-inch pie

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Combine cherries, granulated sugar, tapioca and almond extract in a large mixing bowl; mix well. (It is not necessary to thaw cherries before using.) Let cherry mixture stand 15 minutes.
Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry; fill with cherry mixture. Dot with butter. Adjust top crust, cutting slits for steam to escape.
Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven 50 to 55 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Makes 8 servings.
Note: 2 (16-ounce) cans unsweetened tart cherries, well drained, can be substituted for frozen tart cherries.


I am starting to think about spring planting and what not. Got an email from Windowbox.com that has some pretty things in it. This looks very nice. I can picture it with some vines over the edge sitting out on my patio.













Or how about a good tool set? I am always looking for a trowel that can hold up to hard work! The seed catalogues are in the bathroom all the time. It is about time I get some ordering done and start some seeds.
I'm looking forward to getting the pond cleaned up and fish out too. The chickens are out today even though there is a little fresh snow on the ground. There is still enough out there for it to be worth their while to browse the yard.
Oh and did I mention that I have a baby pigeon hatched? Only one...there were two eggs I thought but the other egg is gone. Oh well, the baby looks really good and both parents are strongly protective. He is getting fatter every day. I will try to get a photo as soon as the mom lets me but it will probably be a while!
Well, I am off to bake a cherry pie, billie boy, billie boy!
Lynda humming away....

No comments: