Sunday, April 01, 2007

Susan's Fiber Shop Spinning Retreat

Got back late yesterday afternoon from Susan's Fiber Shop annual Spinning Retreat in Columbus. I had a really good time and was able to relax and get away from it all here at home! I did a fair amount of spinning, watched some cool demos and did some fun knitting.
I really enjoyed the time spent with old friends and I met some new friends as well.
Here are some of the things I made this weekend. The brown yarn is Icelandic wool and the purple was a blend I got from Carol Wagner's Hidden Valley Farm.The chicks are knit from some yellow I had and the bunny is knit with some yarn Michele gave me for Christmas held along with Fizz. The pink cloth was my gift for contributing to the Susan G. Koman fund for cancer research.One of our friends at the retreat, Janet R. has had breast cancer and is involved in the fight to find a cure for that and all cancers.
When I got home on Sunday, my husband came out to the car to help me unload and then he stopped me in the driveway and said, "I have some bad news." I said, "Just tell me, don't try to think of some way to break bad news..." So he told me that my sister Ann has just gotten a diagnosis of breast cancer. She is 13 months younger than me and lost her husband to colon cancer a year ago at Thanksgiving time. She is a principal in the Green bay school system and has three kids, two also are teachers and the youngest is in college. I have not been able to speak to her yet. I left a message on her machine but haven't gotten her live yet so I don't know how she is taking this but I know this is now a time for her to concentrate on herself and her health. She has always been the caregiver so I just hope she will care for herself carefully.This is so scary and if you believe in that sort of thing, would you keep Ann in your prayers? Thanks!
Lynda

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh,,,,,,,, Lynda, what news to come home to! I will pray for your sister, please, if you need to talk, just call me TM

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you have had such news. I will most certainly remember you, your sister and your families in my prayers.

Cherry xx

Lynda said...

Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts! I talked to my sister last night and she is looking at surgery the week after Easter and then three weeks of rest before they start anything else. She seemed to be more worried about her work-she is a middle school prinipal-than anything else. This isn't a good time of year to have health problems but when is?
Anyhow, thanks again!
Lynda

shepherdessNC said...

I would love to see a better photo of the yarn skein you have behind those cute little critters. I am sorry, I am new to your blog and do not know the history of troubles that have befallen your family. Would you mind posting more about your retreat? what does a retreat entail? and of course praying that ebverything works out well for you and your loved ones.
Melissa
East Carolina Corriedales, home of ABC Woolcrafts

Find our items at: http://abcwoolcrafts.tail-spinner.com

See Our Sculptures at: http://tomato-patch.blogspot.com/