Tuesday, April 28, 2009

TWINED KNITTING


Twined knitting goes by the Swedish term "Tvåändsstickning", which is translated more literally as "two-end knitting". I have been experimenting with technique and I just love it! I think I am going to work up a class in this method, it is so much fun. And the resulting fabric is just amazing; firm yet flexible and no wind will ever get through these. My older son Patrick snapped them up as soon as they were off the needles!
There is an article about Two-Ended knitting in Knitty winter 2005 and it is a pretty good discussion of the actual technique. It mentions Homespun & Handknit edited by Linda Ligon which has two patterns using the Two-Ended knitting. This is a book I have owned for a good 20 years and I have used it over and over! It's a VERY GOOD BOOK but, their discussion of Tvåändsstickning doesn't even mention the issue of z-twist and s-twist which can be very important in this method. The mitts in Knitty called Larus & Ardea are knit with Cascade 220, a classic s-twisted worsted weight yarn. But the author of the pattern, spinnity said it would be fine for a small project like this and she is right, it turns out really nice!

I know there is a great older book about Twined Knitting called Twined Knitting A Swedish Folkcraft Technique by Brigetta and Ulla Dardanell but Abe Books has it listed for $129 and $169 so I don't think I will be buying it soon. I will have to look at my Library, (HI Cathy!) to see if they have it or can get in through Interlibrary Loan...

























I also am knitting a February Baby Sweater from Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Almanac.
This is the first time I have knit this sweater and it is a lot of fun to knit and seems like a great palette for other knitting stitches or color work. Lots of fun and especially as it for a premie baby girl. It will look great on a tiny little one. I am using Play Time by Reynolds Yarn. 80% Acrylic, 20% Wool Machine washable.





















Really cute sweater...

I am trying to read The Sound and The Fury by Faulkner and not enjoying it a real lot. I'm not sure why he is so well spoken of, I much prefer Eudora Welty's picture of Southerners and I keep wishing I was reading Welty as I am reading The Sound and The Fury. It is about a troubled, decaying Southern family (big surprise, that!). You can read it online if you like at Faulkner's The Sound and The Fury Hypertext. If you do read any, I'd be interested in your opinion.
I am also reading a History of Iceland, as my husband and I are planning a trip there soon. Maybe even yet this year! That would be wonderful!

I read a wonderful quote on a fellow knitter's blog:

The Time of Your Life by William Saroyan (1939) - an excerpt

In the time of your life, live — so that in good time there shall be no ugliness or death for yourself or for any life your life touches.

Seek goodness everywhere, and when it is found, bring it out of its hiding-place and let it be free and unashamed. Discover in all things that which shines and is beyond corruption.

In the time of your life, live — so that in that wondrous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.


Talk to you later,

Lynda


No comments: