Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What Have I Been Reading?











Just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I had read a glowing review of the novel but I put so much stuff on hold that when I pick up things at the library I can't always remember what he book would actually be about! So I started just sort of skimming to see if I would enjoy this title and just got sucked into this story about black women maids and caregivers in the South in the early 1960's.
The novel is told in three voices: two of them women who worked for whites and the third a young woman who want to be a journalist.


Seemingly as different from one another as can be, these women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed.

In pitch-perfect voices, Kathryn Stockett creates three extraordinary women whose determination to start a movement of their own forever changes a town, and the way women—mothers, daughters, caregivers, friends—view one another. A deeply moving novel filled with poignancy, humor, and hope, The Help is a timeless and universal story about the lines we abide by, and the ones we don’t.


This was a wonderful read and I finished it way too quickly!

















I got the book Itty-Bitty Nursery By Susan Anderson from the library just for this mouse pattern. Isn't he the cutest? Looks like the real old fashioned Micky to me.
She has another book coming out soon called Itty-Bitty Toys:









I am starting to think about knitting a sweater for myself. Yes I know Joe's vest is not finished. There has been a huge amount of stockinette in it and I am needing some excitement, I think.
How about this sweater by Islode Teague?
























Tell me what you think-talk to me!
Lynda



Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD)





No comments: