Thursday, October 05, 2006

Busy day w/Photos...


Here is a picture of the t-shirt rug I have already finished. I guess Ed felt he needed to be in the photo and he really is pretty photogenic, no?
But anyway this rug was fun to make and a great way to use up those t-shirts with stains or holes and frayed edges, cuz you can't see any of that once the shirt is cut into 1/2 inch strips. I am well into my second rug. Every time I introduce a new color, my husband asked if any of his shirts are missing...I am sure I don't know (yet) but he does have a lot of white shirts that look nice as a stripe in other colors!


I had Craft Center this morning and got to go to Hodge Podge which is just sitting with a group of people and working on whatever project you want. Good size group this morning and we have decided for our Community Project this year to make blankets for the Project Linus. Project Linus is a 100% volunteer non-profit organization with a two-fold mission:
First, it is their mission to provide love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer "blanketeers."
Second, it is their mission to provide a rewarding and fun service opportunity for interested individuals and groups in local communities, for the benefit of children.
http://www.projectlinus.org/links.shtml
They accept all kinds of blankets and quilts so it offers a lot of options for all the different types of crafters that come to our group. I, of course am planning to knit lap blankets but they accept crochet, fleece, hand tied quilts and pieced quilts. They also accept monetary donations if you don't have the time to actually make a quilt. I think this is really going to be a successful community project that a lot of people can get involved with and enjoy.

Then this morning I went and picked my van back up from the body shop where it had $1200 of work of the front bumper. That is what it cost to get the car fixed after son Patrick's accident. Could have been a lot worse! I am just so glad to have it back. It is inconvenient at best to be without a car.

I also went over to church to get a quick run through on how to prepare a Powerpoint presentation. It seems pretty easy and I think it will even be fun! Our pastor's last day in his house is tomorrow and he is just finishing up all these last minute details. Patrick has helped with the presentations all along but he is in school full time and isn't able to take the responsibilities on all alone. A couple of other women are willing to help learn to do it too. I just said I wasn't willing to do it on the week that I do the newsletter though as that takes a few hours to do and I just wouldn't have time to do it those weeks. I think Patrick can help me get pretty familiar with the program too and Microsoft programs are all somewhat similar.


Here is a picture of the Estonian mittens I have been slowly working on. I am knitting them on size 1 needles and fingering/lace weight yarn. It takes me an evening to knit an inch! They are really a pretty pattern but slow going!

Not the world's greatest picture either! Oh well, at least I can load pictures today!

The October 2006 edition of the Fiber Femmes newsletter has been posted at http://www.fiberfemmes.com/special.htm.

The leaves are changing and the cooler weather is making us think of warm fiber and Christmas projects. This is a nice new online magazine and it is free! Take a look.

http://www.fiberfemmes.com/

Well I have to get at some housework around here. The laundry is in piles and the cat boxes are full!

Talk to you later, Lynda

Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives.
-- William Dement, in Newsweek, 1959

No comments: