Thursday, July 02, 2009

Knitting in the Wild

I have been really lucky lately! I have won another contest from Denise at Knitting in the Wild. I won two skeins of lace weight Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud and two tubes of beads to go with AND a huge bar of Denise's handmade lavendar soap. I am already going crazy trying to choose a pattern to knit this yarn and beads into. I am thinking of trying the technique of using a crochet hook to put the beads on instead of stringing them onto the yarn at the beginning. I was thinking of a triangle or stole shawl.

I really am being a good girl and ONLY knitting the baby shawl for my niece's baby due the end of July. I made myself promise to knit at least two inches a day or I won't get it done in time. I figure I have a little extra time to finish as I hope it will be baptism worthy and that takes a few weeks. I am hoping to have it finished for the county fair and then I will give it to the baby!


















This isn't mine, just a picture of what the shawl will look like. I have knit about 20 inches so far and will knit to about 35 inches and then pick up for the edging. I know I CAN get this done if just stick to it and don't get seduced by new yarn and patterns.

The pattern is from Shawls and Scarves: the Best of Knitter's Magazine. Really a good book but I honestly haven't knit much from it. More of a picture book I guess and a good reference book too. Some really big names in lace design have patterns including Elizabeth Zimmerman's Pi Shawl.














I'm going over to our new farmer's market this afternoon looking for fresh peas. Our friend Donna didn't think they would be ready yet but Joe saw a canning factory truck with some on the other day, so I am hopeful. I don't think there is anything better than fresh new peas! I can't wait...

Talk to you later,
Lynda


It's not the voting that's democracy, it's the counting.
Tom Stoppard (1937 - ), Jumpers (1972) act 1

No comments: